Fwd: Re: Ghostscript 9.15

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Fwd: Re: Ghostscript 9.15
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:38:11 +0100

Sorry, this had accidentally gone private ...

Betreff:        Re: Ghostscript 9.15
Datum:  Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:31:49 +0100
Von:    David Kastrup <address@hidden>
An:     Urs Liska <address@hidden>

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Am 25.03.2015 um 08:51 schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Am 25.03.2015 um 07:50 schrieb David Kastrup:
So that’s probably a matter of the font, not of its style - not every
font defines ligatures, and the name „TakaoPGothic“ tells me its main
focus would be Japanese (is this true?), so the designers probably
didn’t put so much work in features of Latin script.

Would you care to try a different font?
Well, why would the sans-serif font be TakaoPGothic in the first place?
I think we should be using the same default fonts on every installation.

We don't use any particular font for sans-serif and
monospace. LilyPond simply calls the OS's default here.
Which is something I'd like to raise (once more?): Would it be an
option to find suitable complementing fonts here, ship them with
LilyPond and make them the default?
As first measure we should just use one of the 11 or so standard
PostScript fonts.  Probably Helvetica and Courier for sans serif and
monospace, respectively.

I don't think Helvetica is visually much better, but I agree that it
would be an improvement.

It is not a matter of "better" but of reproducible scores.

As it is now compiling scores using sans-serif or monospace (without
explicit font selection) can come out quite differently on different
users' computers.

Which is bad.