Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:54:34 +0100

Am 25.03.2015 um 13:32 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 3/25/15 3:06 AM, "Urs Liska" <address@hidden> wrote:

2) Find suitable fonts and include them in the distribution
I know this is a more difficult issue than 1) but I think it would be
worth it. By default LilyPond scores don't use sans or monospace (IISC)
but I think LilyPond should actually provide beautiful defaults for
these too.
Maybe it would be a good start looking for fonts in the same sources as
CenturySchoolbook?
As of 2014, Google has released a free unicode sans-serif font, Carlito:

http://openfontlibrary.org/en/font/carlito

I don't know if it is any better than Helvetica or Arial.

I don't think so.
However, "better" can only be considered in terms of "visually suitable" in the context of LilyPond scores. I think the fonts we're looking for should have a similarly classic or old-fashioned look as Century.

Maybe we should look for fonts that (optionally) ship with texlive.

Urs

Carl