Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 17:58:47 +0000

On 3/25/15 6:54 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

>I think the fonts we're looking for should have a similarly classic or
>old-fashioned look as Century.
>
>Maybe we should look for fonts that (optionally) ship with texlive.

Hunting around for sans-serif fonts that work well with CenturySchoolbook,
I found this:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/13598/which-sans-serif-and-monospace
-fonts-suit-century-schoolbook

which recommends Franklin Gothic and Helvetica.  Neither one looks
particularly good to me.

There is a large set of Google fonts, many of which are available under
the SIL Open Font License (a free license).  You can see samples at

http://www.google.com/fonts

And filter for sans serif.

I think that the following show some promise:

Alegreya Sans
Open Sans
Marmelad
Droid Sans (Apache license)

Some others recommend Oswald from google fonts.

Of course, I'm really bad with making font decisions, but to my eye there
aren't really *any* sans-serif fonts that go well with classical engraving.

Carl