Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sans-serif free Unicode font (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:45:05 +0100

Am 25.03.2015 um 18:58 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 3/25/15 6:54 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

I think the fonts we're looking for should have a similarly classic or
old-fashioned look as Century.

Maybe we should look for fonts that (optionally) ship with texlive.
Hunting around for sans-serif fonts that work well with CenturySchoolbook,
I found this:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/13598/which-sans-serif-and-monospace
-fonts-suit-century-schoolbook

which recommends Franklin Gothic and Helvetica.  Neither one looks
particularly good to me.

I think so too. But Franklin Gothic was a font I looked at for a longer time earlier today ...
Of course the question is always to find a font that is
- free
- good quality
- well equipped with multilingual characters
(- ideally it would also have a number of widths and weights)

There is a large set of Google fonts, many of which are available under
the SIL Open Font License (a free license).  You can see samples at

http://www.google.com/fonts

And filter for sans serif.

OK. IISC these are web fonts but there are .otf files available in the repository.

I think that the following show some promise:

Alegreya Sans
Open Sans
Marmelad
Droid Sans (Apache license)

Some others recommend Oswald from google fonts.

Of course, I'm really bad with making font decisions, but to my eye there
aren't really *any* sans-serif fonts that go well with classical engraving.

Yes, I have this impression too.
I have seen contemporary scores make use of some rather stylized sans fonts - but that's something that can already been done, so nothing we should consider making the default.

It turned out that I recalled correctly that U.E. made use of sans-serif fonts in their titlings sometimes:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Variations_for_Piano,_Op.27_(Webern,_Anton)
http://imslp.org/wiki/4_Lieder,_Op.12_(Webern,_Anton)
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/313889

In general I wouldn't suggest using sans-serif fonts in score documents if it isn't for some special style ideas. But these aren't the target of a default font. But we do have to ensure that the output of a (default) compilation doesn't depend on the availability of certain fonts on the user's system or on his settings. So we should find a good complement to Century, which isn't too easy. It is so much about the pairing. I have a pair of fonts that I use all the time: Minion and Cronos, and I like that very much. But of course they are commercial fonts, and they look more modern than the default LilyPond appearance. Another quite nice combination (IMHO) is Linux Libertine and Linux Biolinum, but that doesn't fit too well with Century either.

I think most fonts on Googlefonts are too "modern" by intention. What I have in mind would probably be close to the old sans fonts like Franklin Gothic or Akzidenz Grotesk.

Urs

Carl