Re: make pretty-print available in ly files (issue 222810043 by address@

From: dak
Subject: Re: make pretty-print available in ly files (issue 222810043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:21:55 +0000

On 2015/04/08 09:13:53, thomasmorley651 wrote:

We have 'write-me' in lily-library.scm, pretty-print is loaded there
anyway.

We could change 'write-me' to something at the lines of:

(define*-public (write-me x #:optional (message ""))
   "Return @var{x}.  Display @var{message} and write @var{x}.
Handy for debugging, possibly turned off."
   (display message) (newline)(pretty-print x) (newline) x)

It would even extend the capability of pretty-print.

I think one problem we might have is that GUILE contains a proper
interface for pretty-printing of Smobs, so we probably could just
integrate with the regular pretty-printing facilities anyway.  But the
documentation of the respective scm_print_state structure in the GUILE
manual basically boils down to "oh, you would probably just want to
ignore this anyway rather than worry your pretty little head over it".

value->lily-string is probably the most useful reasonably generic
printing facility right now.  But nobody really knows it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/222810043/