Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 05:47:45 +0000

On 2015/05/17 22:06:10, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> ... I'd prefer
> the syntax and options [of \absolute] to parallel those of
> \relative.  That is, an optional prefix pitch to indicate
> the starting octave, and taking the starting octave from
> the first contained note if the prefix is omitted.

I looked at this again.
We would need to write code to find the first pitch, for the general
case like
  \absolute <<{g'4 f e2} {b, c d}>>
The corresponding finding of the first pitch in \relative comes out
naturally from the code (in C, mostly) that makes each pitch reference
the previous pitch.

The meaning changes when the contents are re-ordered
  \absolute <<{b, c d} {g'4 f e2}>>
and freedom to re-arrange music was a significant motivation to get away
from \relative.

Also, the first pitch of a natural segment of music is quote often at
one end of the range of that segment, so not in the most convenient
octave.
\absolute { \partial 4 g4 | c'4. b8 c'4 e'4
| d'4. c'8 d'4 e'8 d'8 | c'4. c'8 e'4 g'4 | a'2. r4 }

So I don't think we will regret passing up this behavior when the
reference pitch is omitted.  Nevertheless, we could have \fixed always
use a reference pitch.

https://codereview.appspot.com/235010043/diff/140001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely
File Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/235010043/diff/140001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode1521
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:1521: c4 \fixed c'' { f g }
   c'4 \fixed c { f'' g'' } c |
   c4 \fixed c'' { f g } c
because optional arguments confuse simple-minded people like me, and
"\fixed c" is still easier to type than "\avsolute"

This patch leaves \absolute in place, documented automatically in
section A.19 by its doc-string.

https://codereview.appspot.com/235010043/diff/140001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely
File Documentation/notation/pitches.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/235010043/diff/140001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode112
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:112: The reference pitch after
@code{\fixed} is optional.