Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: James
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 18:05:55 +0100

On 20/05/15 17:50, David Kastrup wrote:
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

(3. A mostly-trivial poetic bonus: regular and relative are easy to
remember as a pair because the alliteration of them both starting
with “re".)
Bonus?  Only native English speakers think along such lines, I
reckon :-)
The pronunciations of cough, bough, though, tough, plough are easy to
remember since they are conveniently different.

Off topic I know but

Note that "slough" has three pronunciations according to meaning:

    /sluː/ (as in, "slogging through a slough of mud")[1]
    /slʌf/ (as in "to slough off")
    /slaʊ/ the town of Slough in the Thames Valley of England

:)

Also reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

I always show this to my non-native English speaking colleagues to show them how ridiculous English can be sometimes.

However it is a very forgiving language, you can really mangle our sentence structure and we'll still know what you mean ;)

James