Re: Implement partial function calls. (issue 249670043 by address@hidden

From: dak
Subject: Re: Implement partial function calls. (issue 249670043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:44:56 +0000

On 2015/07/10 11:17:37, dak wrote:
On 2015/07/10 10:50:55, http://mark_opus11.net wrote:
> On 2015/07/10 10:34:24, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> > If I understand this correctly it permits a variable definition to
be used
in
> > some circumstances where a music function definition would
previously have
> been
> > required to achieve the same effect.  That seems a worthwhile
improvement
and
> > simplification.
>
> Will this also work with \markup? e.g.:
>
> redBold = \markup \with-color #red \bold \incomplete
>
> \redBold "text"

A nice illustration of my "can of worms" theory.

It would be quite straightforward to make this work for the case where
there is
only a final markup missing since the grammar already special-cases
this kind of
markup chain.

Well, oopsy daisy.  It's quite uncomplicated with regard to the grammar.
 But there is a tiny complication: as opposed to music functions et al,
markup commands have a different namespace, are supported by the markup
macro, and are not anonymous: defining a markup command does not just
define one name but a whole slew of them.

So

redBold = ...

cannot define a markup command (and never could).  I could instead
define a scheme command returning a markup.  I think that those should
work in comparable circumstances.

https://codereview.appspot.com/249670043/