Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 23:04:22 -0400

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> 1) DOWNLOAD PAGE
> What's the most viewed page in the website (excluding the home)? Probably the
> download page:
> http://lilypond.org/website/download.html
>
> Let's add there a big Note saying something like: "Our most active main
> developer David Kastrup is working full-time on LilyPond development and need
> your support to make a living. If you use and love LilyPond, please allow
> David to continue his precious work by contributing whatever amount of money
> you can afford. [link to Community>Sponsoring page]"
>
> 2) SPONSORING PAGE
> I can guess without looking at 'git log' that the sponsoring page was written
> by Graham :-)
> It does not encourage any donation, right? The feeling is very different from
> what we are reading in many replies in this thread. Maybe it's time to change
> it a little bit?
>
> 3) GITSTATS

I agree that doing some things along these lines would be a good idea.

Another possibility is to combine the "help us"[1] and “sponsoring"[2] pages.
That way all the ways to help further LilyPond are in one place and we could
link to it from the download page and/or home page with some appropriate
message.  Combining these pages would also help reduce the large number of
sub-pages under Community heading.  The content of the “sponsoring” page could
become a single section on the “help us” page with a heading like “Bounties and
Sponsorships”.  Maybe “contributing” is a good heading for all these things,
i.e. we could have a single “contributing” page instead of “help us” and
“sponsoring” pages?

(Apparently I’m always thinking about what to name things…)

-Paul

[1] http://lilypond.org/help-us.html
[2] http://lilypond.org/sponsoring.html