Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 13:08:03 +0200

Il giorno ven 23 ott 2015 alle 15:19, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I agree, but I think that we can easily improve the situation. A few simple ideas:

1) DOWNLOAD PAGE
What's the most viewed page in the website (excluding the home)? Probably the download page:
http://lilypond.org/website/download.html

Let's add there a big Note saying something like: "Our most active main developer David Kastrup is working full-time on LilyPond development and need your support to make a living. If you use and love LilyPond, please allow David to continue his precious work by contributing whatever amount of money you can afford. [link to Community>Sponsoring page]"

2) SPONSORING PAGE
I can guess without looking at 'git log' that the sponsoring page was written by Graham :-) It does not encourage any donation, right? The feeling is very different from what we are reading in many replies in this thread. Maybe it's time to change it a little bit?

3) GITSTATS
The gitstats linked in the sponsoring pages are a great idea but they are out-of-date (november 2012). Any chance to keep them up-to-date automatically?
Also, I'd rather link to the Authors tab:
http://lilypond.org/~graham/gitstats-3months/AUTHORS.html

gitstats is just a python script. Who has access to the server may just set up a cron job to create the stats every X days:
https://github.com/hoxu/gitstats/blob/master/doc/INSTALL

Actually, it can be even run within 'make doc'. I've just run and it compiles the stats of 2015 in 40 seconds:

$ time gitstats -c processes=2 -c start_date=1/1/2015 lilypond-git lilypond-gitstats-2015
[...]
real    0m40.352s

$ du -h lilypond-gitstats-2015
612K    lilypond-gitstats-2015

I'll move the discussion to @bug-lilypond

Last idea:

4) David reports on lilypondblog.org

If Urs and David agree, the past and future development logs of David - if David wants to keep them up - may be published on lilypondblog.org and made available to anyone, not only to the people who supported him during these years. We may use some special tag for these reports and link to it from the sponsoring page. I volunteer for converting the texinfo (?) source of these reports to any format needed for Wordpress, trusting the great power of pandoc :)