Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:26:19 +0200

Am 24.10.2015 um 03:18 schrieb Paul Morris:
> I think the same considerations that apply for MusicXML also apply for MEI.
> See the discussions about the Google summer of code project from last spring.
>

> Namely, LilyPond’s internal scheme data structure is a good target for import
> and export (better than LilyPond’s plain text input syntax), and it is easier
> to start with export to MEI which will give you a good sense of the mapping
> between the two formats, and then it will be easier to work on the import
> path.

This is true but probably not enough for argumenting in a grant
application. I think it would be a valid argument if there were inherent
reasons why a mei2ly conversion would *only* work on top of an
implemented ly2mei conversion.
The perspective of our project and application is: "Integrate
professional engraving in current digital edition
infrastructure/contexts". So the question is not "why would that be
useful for LilyPond or easier as an approach" but "What does this
building block (ly2mei) add to the digital music edition ecosystem."

This is the background for our chance to get a serious development
project funded and bring LilyPond forward in a number of respects (which
I can't even disclose already).

Urs