Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed

From: Joram
Subject: Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 00:26:00 +0100

Hi Urs,

I totally overlooked the 'LilyPond-to-MEI' part (the central part) of
your question. And I wondered why you ask that question while knowing
already so many good answers to it. Sorry.

> This may not be something that you, Joram, are after, but something that
> could be considered a rather common use case for LilyPond users.

That's why I wrote 'personally'.

> Finally there is something that seems to be at the horizon when both
> mei2ly and ly2mei exist at the same time. What I would very much like to
> see is an integrated environment (e.g. in Frescobaldi) where you can
> edit a score in .ly format, have instant preview through ly2mei2verovio,
> possibly graphical content editing features through Verovio, and only in
> the end use LilyPond for the graphical result.

That's indeed a valid point which I did not see so far: Verovio based
GUI possibilities and the XML-based transformations David told me.

For all the rest: Yes, I missed the point of your question and yes, I
think this is a good thing in general.

Cheers,
Joram