Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Reasons why a LilyPond-to-MEI conversion should be developed
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:11:52 +0200

Hi Urs,

possible advantages could be: a larger user base and maybe contributions
from more (academic/professional/knowledgeable) people to the engraving
quality of LilyPond. Offering a high quality engraving solution for an
already existing community. And other synergy effects and perhaps
funding. As the input is further disentangled from the output, users
could use any input tool that supports MEI and still can get LilyPond
output. That way we could have a GUI input method (which I presume
exists for MEI) for free. That's what comes to my mind.

Me personally, I don't see the point in creating MEI files. I like the
LilyPond input language. It is a concise and human readable
representation of the music. I can use version control (git). I don't
see what MEI would improve for me. I guess MEI is rather less readable
and auto-generated ly code likely, too (therefore I don't use Denemo).
My desired output format is pdf – so I have what I need. Perhaps if
freely available databases with MEI encoded music would exist, it could
get interesting to convert these to ly for further tweaks.

So, I support the idea but I see no personal advantages.

Cheers,
Joram