Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 19:05:01 +0100

Jacques Menu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> I’m only an amateur musician, but I really appreciate Lilypond’s
> availability. I haven’t been creating scores any other way since I
> first encountered it at the time of version 2.12.
>
> Current example : Bach’s Magnificat, in which I partly double the
> cello with the bassoon, has many alterations changes. I’m using «
> \accidentalStyle Score.teaching » to have all of them made explicit,
> which greatly helps the bad reader I am.

Well, the current syntax of the command is due to me, and some overhaul
of the internals and making sure that accidentals are repeated after
clef changes (yes, I have read the request by someone else(?) just now
to stop that again but have not yet had the time and/or energy to reply
yet, sorry, willdo eventually).  But the functionality as such was
available from before my time...

> For the same, I transposed a flûte part one half-tone to help the
> player (she’s young and still a music school pupil) getting a better,
> more plain sound using another flute.

Well, I messed with the definition of the \transposition command to make
it somewhat less weird.  But transpositions still are not really the
most fantastic part of LilyPond, particularly with MIDI.

Like with many other things, so much remains to be done...

Probably not worse than other programs though.

> I feel guilty for not having contributed yet, since I’m much indebted
> to the people who make Lilypond alive and evolving, including those
> who provide help on this list.  I’ve been a C++ developper in a former
> life, and I have an idea of the kind of arduous work David Kastrup
> performs with such a big piece of software.  And LP doesn’t benefit
> from support by big computer science companies, as some other open
> software products do.

The OpenSSH(?) situation was remarkably bad for a long time.  Something
used everywhere, and the single core developer no longer able to support
himself.  At least that has made people attentive.  LilyPond is not an
integral part of similarly essential offerings.  Perhaps we need to work
on that in order to make wake-up calls reach bigger money than they
currently do.  It's basically all volunteers without economic dependence
on LilyPond.

> So, David, please send me your IBAN privately, and I’ll fix this
> problem on my side.

Will do.

Thanks!