Re: stepmake no longer available in debian?!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: stepmake no longer available in debian?!
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 17:54:41 +0100

Villum Sejersen <address@hidden> writes:

> As of today it seems I cannot compile lilypond from git sources, because:
>
> stepmake is no longer available as a debian package!

That's irrelevant as LilyPond comes with its own copy of stepmake.

> For historical reasons I neither use Ubuntu nor any other debian-based
> OS, but debian itself...
>
> My debian version is the current testing 'stretch'.
>

> address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# git pull origin
> Already up-to-date.
>
> address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# ../configure

Please start with

cd /usr/local/src/lilypond && ./autogen.sh --noconfigure

Only then will the system be in useful state.

> The important message here of course is "stepmake not found". That,
> and no. 1.9 in INSTALL.txt to me signifies that until lilypond finds
> out how to completely avoid stepmake I have no possibility to compile
> lilypons from git! I have no intention to downgrade (or for that
> matter upgrade) the debian version.
>
> For completion; 'make clean' or 'make distclean' fails to work too.

Because you did not run ./autogen.sh --noconfigure.  INSTALL.txt lists
this as step 1.4.1.

> In the long run I believe that any debian-derived OS will have to
> abandon stepmake too... I think it leaves liypond with no other option
> than to abandon stepmake as part of its compilation process?

Nope.  What parts of stepmake LilyPond needs are included in LilyPond
itself.