Re: MusicXML

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: MusicXML
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 09:35:52 -0500

Hi David,

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:07 PM, David Garfinkle <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hope everyone had a lovely new year. School has kept me busy, but I'm still
> interested in continuing work on the MusicXML project that I started over
> the summer.

Glad you’re interested in working more on this, and that you’re thinking about
another round of GSoC!

> I just caught up in mailing-list readings for the topic, so I
> think I'm correct in assuming that it hasn't been added to the code base
> yet, or edited, and that I can continue working locally without risk of
> re-doing work that has already been done by someone else.

That’s correct, as far as I know.

> I'm also thinking about doing another summer of GSoC, but am undecided on
> what I should work on. I could continue with XML export, or I could work on
> a different project suggestion. As far as I know from Urs' compilation,
> there are three other project ideas (adding glyph variants, extending
> ScholarLY library, and adding chord structures) which have a primary
> mentor. On one hand, it would be beneficial to knock a more serious dent
> into MusicXML and kick down the door for easier contribution. On the other
> hand, it seems like the other three projects are less sprawling and it
> would be nice to see a definite conclusion to an issue or idea. Thoughts?

I think it’s mostly a question of what you’d like to work on.  I would hope
that we could find a mentor for the MusicXML project if you wanted to continue
with it, and since you’re already (at least) knee deep into it, there would be
clear benefits to continuing with it.

Best,
-Paul