Re: Lilypond issue tracker account request

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lilypond issue tracker account request
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:25:05 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl O. Pinc" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:47 AM
Subject: Lilypond issue tracker account request

Hi,

I'd like an account in the lilypond issue tracker.

I'm thinking about someday contributing to lilypond
in the area of harp related notation.  I'd probably
start with the fingering notation.

FYI.  I don't know much music or much harp.  Or much
lilypond.  Harp fingering notation seems to be like
\startGroup ... \stopGroup, or, after
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
\sustainOn ... \sustainOff.  Except that the line can be
slanted.  And in some styles the finger numbers are
written so their midpoint falls on the line and the
line is broken.

There seems to be 2 more variations, one where the
line segments on the ends remain at right angles to the
overall line, and are therefore slanted.  And another
style where the line segments at the end are vertical,
independent of the slope of the overall line.

Fingering runs from 1 to 4 with 1 being the thumb.

See also:
http://www.harpspectrum.org/harpworks/composing_for_harp/images/sacred_harp_notation.gif
from
http://www.harpspectrum.org/harpworks/composing_for_harp/composing_for_harp.shtml
for "lots 'o harp notation", most of which seems to
be missing from lilypond.  In the latter link
you can find an example of finger placement notation
in "Writing for the Harp", section 1, "Notation".

I've no idea if I'll every get around to contributing
but am reading through the developer docs and it
can't hurt to get setup for it.  FWIW I've done
FOSS development work with FOSS tools.

Regards,

Karl <address@hidden>

I believe you can contribute to the tracker without an account: it's just that the contributions require moderation. Could I suggest you start like that and see how you progress?

--
Phil Holmes