Re: midi articulation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: midi articulation
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 23:37:33 +0000

On 3/23/16 11:06 PM, "address@hidden on
behalf of Daniel Birns" <address@hidden
on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi developers,
>
>We¹ve been having a discussion about midi. I could say a lot about this,
>but I¹m sure some developers have thought a great deal about this, and
>probably for many years, so I don¹t want to second-guess.
>
>As I report in the following thread, I¹m a software developer, mostly
>experienced in C++, and have thought maybe I could assist in such a
>project, but naturally I would first want to know if a) there¹s any
>interest in outside developers contributing to the midi output quality
>and b) what has gone before.

We're always open to having new developers come and contribute to LilyPond.

The original team was (as has been mentioned) heavily focused on creating
printed scores, so midi output was just included for "proof-listening",
and generating high-quality midi was not a concern.

A few years in to the development, articulate.ly was developed to help in
automatic generation of robotic music, IIRC.

You're not alone in wishing we had better midi output; users have
requested it multiple times.

If you're willing to jump in and develop better output, we'd love to have
you do so.

>From time to time, you may find us protective of the code base.  But we
are open to different ways of doing things when a developer is willing to
invest time and show that the new way is sane.  SO if we complain about
some of your initial attempts, please don't think we're trying to shut you
out.  I promise you, we're not.

I think that you could get some history by searching the issues list for
midi.

I hope you'll join us!

Thanks,

Carl