Re: midi articulation

From: Daniel Birns
Subject: Re: midi articulation
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:14:49 -0700

Thanks for your kind note.

Of course, I completely understand the protectiveness. That’s how it must be.
Before I do anything, I’d like to discuss my thoughts on the matter.

Inside vs. Outside
______________

OUTSIDE: The Unix idea is to have many small, testable apps that are designed
to be able to work together. In this view, one should have an Engraver (aka
lilypond) as a single app that doesn’t try to do anything else. In addition,
the lilypond syntax becomes the key interface, and lilypond can be the Engraver
as well as the Validator. Midi should be a separate app that reads the same
source and generates midi.

Of course, there are other ways to layer this, in the unix model. Perhaps there
should be a parser which generates an internal format, and then lilypond could
read that, and the midi generator could also read the internal format.

Perhaps lilypond already has a suitable internal-format, post-parsed format
that would be more suitable for a midi-generator.

INSIDE: Generating midi out to be a great deal easier in lilypond because it
has already parsed everything, ought to know, at any point in time, all the
information necessary to generate better midi output. Currently, it’s missing
many things, like note-durations, and so on. I wonder why that is? I’m
suspecting there’s a fundamental reason, and that it’s because the information
is split up among all the various engravers?

Midi is a big subject, and keeping midi generation inside lilypond may generate
fears, probably well-founded, of increasing size and complexity.

Midi Sounds
__________

I’m no midi expert, but I’ve used it over the years. My impression is that
tools like Apple Logic, Sibelius, and so on, provide their own sounds, which
are unrelated, in particular, to midi, which only gives a slight clue to the
desired sound. To give a reasonable midi result, I believe we must go that
route: provide a sound library, and a player. A user would then be able to
write a lilypond score, and get a reasonable audio playback of that score. We
could generate midi as we have always done, but the midi would have much better
articulation and dynamics than it currently does.

I’m certain I’m not the first to think about all this…

-d