building from source

From: Daniel Birns
Subject: building from source
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 08:34:01 -0700

So, as an experienced C/C++ developer, I’m interested in working on midi, and
have been welcomed by some on the development team. First thing: build from the
sources. I’ve always found this step, with every software project, to be one of
the most difficult, so I’m not terribly surprised.

I spent hours trying to get autogen.sh to approve my prereq, and am left with
this:

ERROR: Please install required programs:  TeX Gyre fonts OTF (make sure the
fc-list utility can see them, e.g. 'sudo apt-get install fonts-texgyre', or use
--with-texgyre-dir) metapost CTAN package (texlive-metapost) fontforge
libpango1.0-dev or pango?-devel >= 1.6.0 (installed: ) texi2html dblatex
epsf.tex lh CTAN package (texlive-lang-cyrillic or texlive-texmf-fonts) pngtopnm

I’m on Mac/OS X. My impression is that most (all?) lilypond developers are on
linux. I will need help getting past this point. Truth is, I don’t need a full
source build, though it might be nice for testing. All I need is the lilypond
binary. Perhaps I wouldn’t need all this to build just that much.

I have VMWare with a windows VM, and could probably add a linux VM, though I’d
prefer not. I’m already on limited disk space, and getting the build to get
this far has eaten quite a bit of memory. The fonts in particular are difficult.

Otherwise, I will probably have to give up, which is okay.

-d