Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 12:08:13 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> At any rate, Werner had pushed a spelling correction commit that
>> ended up staying in staging for a looooong time (days I think) but
>> then got passed to master pretty fast once _another_ commit was
>> pushed on top of it.
>
> I hope it is OK to push such minor tweaks without creating an issue.
> Otherwise it would increase the necessary time to apply such fixes by
> a factor of 10 at least...

The problem with such minor tweaks is that if they break sectioning,
they can still block the queue.  While our staging process keeps master
reasonably clean and compilable, it can still affect staging.

So my own metric is that if a change is restricted to non-functional
texts (comments, descriptions etc) I don't have much qualms about just
pushing.

This change, however, affected cross-references and index entries.

With regard to the text changes: I don't actually know whether the
correct Finnish word is kaksoisappogiatura or kaksoisappoggiatura but am
willing to believe the latter.

I do find the German "mit einem Schrägstrich durch den Hals, und den
Vorhalt (engl. appoggiatura)," at least peculiar since "appoggiatura" is
rather an Italian than an English term.  While this description
originates from before the patch, a review might have been an
opportunity for changing this.

At the current point of time, patch testing is done completely manually
by James.  That does make me somewhat less inclined to create
issues/patches for trivial stuff.