Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 11:10:30 +0100

David,

On 21/05/16 10:38, David Kastrup wrote:
James Lowe <address@hidden> writes:

David,

On 20/05/16 17:38, David Kastrup wrote:
James <address@hidden> writes:

I don;t know what the lilypond.pot stuff does but could that have been
the problem?
Unlikely.  I think it may be the distribution of files across parallel
builds, where the few snippets using the Scheme_engraver poison the
session so that it crashes during an unrelated snippet (or when exiting)
later on.

That is, if we can show that the Scheme_engraver code actually gets
exercised during the runs that crash.

Well if you need me to try some 'hacked up' code or try some specific
compilation options etc. to get output for you, let me know.

All I can say to Knut is that, for the last couple of days anyway, the
'problem' seems to have gone away.
Garbage collection problems are elusive.  I was surprised that Knut was
able to reproduce them well enough for bisection (though bisection does
not employ much redundancy if at all, so if a problem triggers randomly,
you'll still end up with a particular commit labelled as culprit).

At any rate, Werner had pushed a spelling correction commit that ended
up staying in staging for a looooong time (days I think) but then got
passed to master pretty fast once _another_ commit was pushed on top of
it.

That also reeks a bit of Patchy failure for sort-of random but
reproducible conditions.

No. That is a 'what is up with Savannah?' problem.

The patchy merge script, on a while-true-do-sleep-2h loop, runs on my work PC. However these last few weeks what with all the maintenance/move of servers at Savannah as reported by one of the devs here that mucked up my ability to be able to fetch, I got myself in a bit of a mess with shh public keys and network settings.

I (stupidly) assumed the problems I was having was after some recent Ubuntu update - see your comments on 16.x version you had problems with yourself a while back - and so after spending a lot of time diagnosing, I ended up blowing away my entire repo and all my associated ssh keys for Savannah and 'starting again' (in some ways this is a good exercise, as it means I have to go back to the CG and walk through all the steps, so one can see if things still walk-and-talk the way they are documented).

After i updated my SSH keys and downloaded my repo again, and changed my git config file to use ssh, I have not been able to fetch and now, it seems, push.

As the merge scripts sits happily in the background and not in my face, I'd forgot all about it, and it wasn't until yesterday evening that I noticed Werner's commit in Staging not having been merged.

That was when I then discovered that I can no longer fetch or push from my work PC.

I also verified this by trying to push Greg Swinford's recent patch he submitted from my work PC.

So it wasn't until this morning, from home, where I have had time to take stock of all the unnecessary changes I had made to my repo config files and the like here and then decide to restore from a backup I took last month of all my LP bits-and-bobs, fetch, rebase, what-have-you and ran the patchy merge script. This all works.

So we're back to normal, as it were, at least from my home PC and merge is running again every 4 hours.

I'll bother about the work machine on Monday.
--

James