Re: [GSoC] spanners project update

From: Nathan Chou
Subject: Re: [GSoC] spanners project update
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 01:14:36 -0700

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 12:48 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> But that means that you can no longer let people write individual parts
> with several spanner ids independently even when there never is even
> going to be any cross-Voice spanner.  Spanner-ids like \=1 \=2 are not
> likely to be unique when they are needed in independently written parts.
> So you start trying to make rules which spanner-ids are only supposed to
> be used locally and which are supposed to be unique at some level.  And
> which level is better?  Staff or Score?
>
> Lots and lots of decisions which are actually best made in connection
> with an actual score.  And when they are written into the score, you
> don't need to look them up or second-guess them.

That is a good point; I might agree with spanner id's not being shared
across voices if nothing has been indicated. To make this less
tedious, however: what if after the parent context in which to share
spanners has been given once, future spanner id's (in the same voice)
default to share in that context? Or alternatively, perhaps this
parent share context could be set as a context property, allowing the
user to indicate a "default"?

Also, since I am accepting a key-list which includes indexes, should I
treat, for example, the number 1 and the symbol #{1}# as the same id?

Nathan