Re: [GSoC] spanners project update

From: Nathan Chou
Subject: Re: [GSoC] spanners project update
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 02:30:54 -0700

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:54 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Nathan Chou <address@hidden> writes:
>> That is a good point; I might agree with spanner id's not being shared
>> across voices if nothing has been indicated. To make this less
>> tedious, however: what if after the parent context in which to share
>> spanners has been given once, future spanner id's (in the same voice)
>> default to share in that context? Or alternatively, perhaps this
>> parent share context could be set as a context property, allowing the
>> user to indicate a "default"?
>
> How often are you expected to write this?

If I understand correctly, my idea was that after you write the shared
parent context *once*, future cross-voice spanners in that voice would
by default share in that context; or alternatively, the shared parent
context would be set *once* as a context property. Although I am now
having doubts since it does make sense for the default blank spanner
id (i.e. when no id is given) to not be shared across voices,
regardless of the presence of cross voice spanners. For now I will
never share spanner ids unless the context is indicated with \=.

I am currently working on warnings for unterminated spanners. However,
when I lookup the context property to identify such spanners, and that
property was never set, Context::internal_get_property attempts to
look in higher contexts, which sometimes causes warnings for contexts
that have not actually ended. Does adding an optional argument to
internal_get_property to prevent looking in higher contexts seem
reasonable?

Thanks for all the help!

Nathan