Re: vertical movement without anchors

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: vertical movement without anchors
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:43:46 +0200

>>> When has this changed?  Or maybe there are still situations where an
>>> anchor is needed, thus the example has to be improved?
>>
>> The respective diff from 2.16 to 2.18 in scm/define-grobs.scm reads:
>> [...]
>>
>> However, reverting all that does not appear to make a change (unless
>> I am doing something wrong here).  So I'm not sure what to attribute
>> the change to (the logs for lily/text-engraver.cc or
>> lily/script-engraver.cc do not show anything suspicious to me
>> either).
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
>> How important is it to figure out the responsible change?
>
> Well, it's not important (at least not for me), but `anchors' was a
> central concept in vertical positioning of grobs, and lo and behold,
> it is no longer necessary, so we can correct the documentation.
>

>     Werner

Just back from vacations, reading up the mails...

I tested the code below with 2.16.2 and 2.19.44 and colored the ref-points.
Images attached. Up to now they are simple observations, have to think
about further implications...

    \relative d' {
      \stemUp
      \textLengthOn
      \set Staff.instrumentName = #(lilypond-version)
      d2^"foo"
      d'^"foo"
      d,^\markup \raise #4 "foo"
      d'^\markup \raise #4 "foo"
      d,^\markup { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
      d'^\markup { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
      d,^\markup \box \raise #4 "foo"
      d'^\markup \box \raise #4 "foo"
      d,^\markup \box { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
      d'^\markup \box { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
      d,^\markup \box \line { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
      d'^\markup \box \line { \null \raise #4 "foo" }
    }

Cheers,
  Harm