Re: Help with Scheme engraver please

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Help with Scheme engraver please
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 22:34:56 +0100

Thomas Morley wrote Friday, September 02, 2016 8:22 PM

>> There already is a helpful working example in the code base.  See
>>
>> input/regression/scheme-engraver.ly
>>
>> This doesn't go as far as creating new grobs, so I've attached a
>> simple example that does.  This is a bit of a hack, used as part of
>> a learning process, and a bit messy as it evolved from an earlier
>> attempt, but it illustrates one way.
>>
>> Actually, comments from the experts on this would be very helpful.
>
> I stumbled across you're printing a rest-glyph for a quarter-note.
>
> Eventually I might have some ideas, but there are a plethora of
> variants for historic tablaures. Which glyphs do you want to be
> printed above the TabStaff for the code below. Only flags, flags with
> stems, stems only for quarters, what to do for notes longer than a
> quarter?
>
> m = { \compressFullBarRests c'\maxima \longa \breve 1 2 4 8 16 32 }
>
> <<
>  \new MensuralVoice \m
>  \new TabStaff \with { \revert TextScript.stencil }
>  \new TabVoice
>    \with {
>      \consists \Lute_tab_duration_engraver
>    } \m

I really know very little about lute tablature, but I believe there are many
different styles.  Should this ever get close to operational we'd need
to discuss which styles to support and what glyphs would be needed.
But I fear that's some way in the future.  The mensural (and rest) glyphs
I used in this little example are just markers really, while I explore how to
deal with other aspects - fingering, bass courses, articulations, etc.

Trevor