Re: Add output-attributes grob property to replace id (issue 308430043 b

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Add output-attributes grob property to replace id (issue 308430043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:25:14 -0400

On 09/27/2016 02:49 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

We will definitely want to have an 'id property to address elements from
elsewhere in a document, be it spanners or be it edition-engraver mods
or similar additions. Maybe in the context of partial recompilation
features IDs may become handy. So it might be an option to leave a
top-level 'id property in place right now instead of possibly adding it
back at a later point?

Ok, since there's hesitation about removing it, I'll leave it in. We can always remove it in a follow-up patch if that is desired. I will keep the convert-ly rule that rewrites ".id" to ".output-attributes.id" to help keep the svg functionality working for existing user files.

For the doc string I'll just use "An id string for the grob." I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks it should say more, like "not currently used by LilyPond".

(This brings up some thoughts I've had about supporting custom properties. I'll send another email about that.)

-Paul