Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:15:26 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> So I tried (some unrelated commands omitted) to apply the first four
> patches from
> https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/
>
>  2200  git checkout master
>  2201  git fetch
>  2202  git pull -r
>  2206  git checkout -b dev/master-my-guile21
>  2208  git apply 0001-Initialize-locale-in-GUILEv2.patch
>  2209  git apply
> 0002-Source_file-init_port-Keep-GUILEv2-from-redecoding-s.patch
>  2210  git apply
> 0003-Update-changes-from-commit-122525f-Keep-GUILEv2-from.patch
>  2215  git apply
> 0004-Fix-the-GUILE-autoconf-variable-substitution-with-gu.patch
>  2216  sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
>  2217  mkdir -p build/
>  2218  cd build/
>  2219  ../configure --enable-guile2
>  2220  make -j5
>  2224  history 100
>
> Going for a build-directory is not _exactly_ Antonios method, but
> _should_ work of course.
> Though, I got an error in declarations-init.ly. From the log:
>
> /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build/out/share/lilypond/current/ly/declarations-init.ly:1:5:
> error: undefined character or shorthand: (
> %%%%
>      This file is part of LilyPond, the GNU music typesetter.
>

> Which is bullshit.

Ah yes.  This one requires a fix in 2.0.12 I am afraid.  Basically if
you unread a byte from a byte array stream (and byte array streams were
the only straightforward way around some coding system problems), the
file position becomes total crap and that's what's used for the error
messages and for other processing like switching to the Scheme reader in
# or $ constructs.

So basically for 2.0.11 you would have to back out the patch using byte
streams and instead have to fuzz around with %default-port-encoding and
similar (which is _guaranteed_ to stop working in Guile 2.1 since the
Guile developers considered this last way I found for getting sensible
no-conversion behavior a bug).

That was more or less the last time when I decided "screw you, I am
waiting for the next Guile version if at all".