Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 01:02:42 +0100

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So I tried (some unrelated commands omitted) to apply the first four
>> patches from
>> https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/
>>
>>  2200  git checkout master
>>  2201  git fetch
>>  2202  git pull -r
>>  2206  git checkout -b dev/master-my-guile21
>>  2208  git apply 0001-Initialize-locale-in-GUILEv2.patch
>>  2209  git apply
>> 0002-Source_file-init_port-Keep-GUILEv2-from-redecoding-s.patch
>>  2210  git apply
>> 0003-Update-changes-from-commit-122525f-Keep-GUILEv2-from.patch
>>  2215  git apply
>> 0004-Fix-the-GUILE-autoconf-variable-substitution-with-gu.patch
>>  2216  sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
>>  2217  mkdir -p build/
>>  2218  cd build/
>>  2219  ../configure --enable-guile2
>>  2220  make -j5
>>  2224  history 100
>>
>> Going for a build-directory is not _exactly_ Antonios method, but
>> _should_ work of course.
>> Though, I got an error in declarations-init.ly. From the log:
>>
>> /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build/out/share/lilypond/current/ly/declarations-init.ly:1:5:
>> error: undefined character or shorthand: (
>> %%%%
>>      This file is part of LilyPond, the GNU music typesetter.
>>

>> Which is bullshit.
>
> Ah yes.  This one requires a fix in 2.0.12 I am afraid.  Basically if
> you unread a byte from a byte array stream (and byte array streams were
> the only straightforward way around some coding system problems), the
> file position becomes total crap and that's what's used for the error
> messages and for other processing like switching to the Scheme reader in
> # or $ constructs.
>
> So basically for 2.0.11 you would have to back out the patch using byte
> streams and instead have to fuzz around with %default-port-encoding and
> similar (which is _guaranteed_ to stop working in Guile 2.1 since the
> Guile developers considered this last way I found for getting sensible
> no-conversion behavior a bug).
>
> That was more or less the last time when I decided "screw you, I am
> waiting for the next Guile version if at all".
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Short update:
I managed to get guile 2.0.13 and guile-2.0-dev for 2.0.13 (grabed it
from Zesty Zapus which will be Ubuntu 17.04)
Successful make with all of Antonios patches (didn't try make doc so far).

Though, _every_ compilation of a .ly will cause a gs-error.

Even for { c1 } I get:

lilypond-git atest-40.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.19.51
Processing `atest-40.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-6s1XBB'...
Converting to `atest-40.pdf'...
warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595,28
-dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841,89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=atest-40.pdf -c.setpdfwrite
-f/tmp/lilypond-6s1XBB)' failed (256)

fatal error: failed files: "atest-40.ly"

Will try to continue tomorrow, too late today.

Cheers,
  Harm