Re: Stepping up, contributor mentoring

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Stepping up, contributor mentoring
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:37:04 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:11 PM

> Hi all, I'm back.

Great!  Welcome back!  We've missed you!

> So, are there any vacancies on the Bug Squad?  I've signed up for
> sourceforge (username: gperciva).

I've added you to SF as a Developer (gives you Read, Create, Update
permissions for the LP Issues at
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/ ).

> Other than that, my primary
> interest remains in organization / mentoring new contributors.
> Has anything changed in regards to that in the past four years?
> Or shall I jump straight in?  I see that "Contributor 1.4 Mentors"
> hasn't changed.

Not a lot has changed.  Most of the usual suspects are still here,
although many (including me) are often in lurking mode.

> Anything else I should know?  I've skimmed the past month of this
> mailing list.

Other than maintenance the docs have not moved forward much :(

> (I was planning on waiting until the new year, but David's news
> made me re-evaluate my health now, and I think I have the energy
> to take on more stuff.  To make a long story short: depression,
> burnout, quit academia, moved back to Vancouver, recovery.  Also,
> started ballroom and swing dancing!  Great fun, absolutely
> recommended, *especially* for other shy, socially anxious computer
> geeks.  Despite that help, I'm still not 100% recovered, but I'm
> content with my progress, and I think that doing more volunteer
> work will help.)

I'm sure it will.  I found singing in fully staged musicals and
opera was both enjoyable and very therapeutic for overcoming shyness
and lack of confidence in company.  Everyone else is so extrovert it
was catching!

Trevor