Re: Website upload

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Website upload
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 10:24:59 -0000

Am 06.03.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> Simple answer - I run the GUB uploader.
>
> Slightly more useful one: there are two aspects to the "website": the
> one that is created with "make website". This is a fairly simple
> step, and any change to any file that is part of "website" is
> automatically picked up by the website - it has a pair of cron jobs
> that pull git and run "make website" every hour. The more complex
> parts of the site (e.g. the docs) are created by GUB with a "make
> lilypond" and then uploaded with a GUB command that rsynch's my disk
> with lilypond.org.
>
> I suspect this won't answer your question, but does move the issue
> forward. Please ask more - if I can answer, I will.

OK. The concrete question (already raised by Federico) is:
Whenever the *website* is uploaded (I don't talk about the manuals) does
this involve rsync (seems so)? And if it does is the --delete option
used? Because otherwise remainders of renamed nodes will be kept on the
website (without being properly linked).

Again - this needs answering with a bit of care, because the website and the docs are closely linked. It appears to me that putting any of the documentation (which includes part of the webite) is doen with rsync without the delete option. See https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/test-lily/upload.py line 175. However, as I touched on earler, the website itself is created by a pull from git and then "make website". The website itself is built into an offline directory and most of the files are then automatically rsynced to the live website - the cron job does this after make website has completed. Looking at the live website directory, it's apparent that there are a number of old files that haven't been built recently - including gsoc.html, which hasn't been touched since August 2012.

I've added Graham to the cc list to see if he thinks the best bet is simply to manually delete the old files, or create symlinks or something else.

@node GSoC 2012
will result in gsoc-2012.html, gsoc-2012.de.html etc.

When that is renamed to
@node Google Summer of Code
the generated files are google-summer-of-code.html,
google-summer-of-code.de.html etc.

In that case the gsoc-2012... files have to be purged from the website.
and somehow it looks this isn't the case, presumably leading to a huge
amount of such orphaned files on the server.

A special case (as brought up by Werner) is the fact that
http://lilypond.org/gsoc.html is completely outdated but at the same
time a prominent search result at Google. So if our assumption is
correct and there are numeorus obsolete files on the server *this* one
should note simply be deleted but redirected to
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html.

Urs

--
Phil Holmes