Re: Google SoC

From: Winston, Charles R.
Subject: Re: Google SoC
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 00:31:25 +0000

Hi Carl,

I am at this point trying to get familiar with some of the source code and
reading the documentation. It would be great if you could tell me about
LilyPond's current way of representing chords. Is there any data structure at
all that represents a chord beyond simply the notes that make it up? In what
modules in the code is this representation defined and used? And it would be
great if you could point me toward helpful documentation for this, and for
anything else you deem appropriate. I appreciate the help—I'm new to LilyPond,
and to open source projects in general, and am still trying to get a sense of
everything.

Also, I've been having trouble with joining the mailing lists. I've followed
the instructions to subscribe and was told I would receive conformation
instructions, but I haven't. I understand that the servers dealing with that
are currently down, so please excuse the fact that I'm not able to communicate
on those lists at the moment. I would appreciate any help you could give me in
that regard—is there another way to subscribe to the lists? I really want to
dive right into the community.

I also understand there is a period of "community bonding" for the GSoC. I'd
love to hear about that in more detail.

And finally, after I have the information about the chord representation and
have studied the source code and documentation a little more thoroughly, it
would be great if I could send you a draft of my proposal for you to look over
and edit.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Charles