Re: Issue 3128: add Haydn-style turns to Feta (issue 340660043 by addres

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: Issue 3128: add Haydn-style turns to Feta (issue 340660043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 00:42:12 -0700

On 2018/04/08 18:05:49, Dan Eble wrote:
Having two symbols available does not necessarily require having
unique commands
for them.  For example, LilyPond supports different styles of
multi-measure
rests, but they're all represented with R.  I'm trying to understand
whether
these scripts are semantically distinct or just stylistically
distinct.

How would one make a single command that can use both styles? Maybe
something like

\override Script.haydnturn-style = #'turn % default #'wiggle

?

It sounds like you're saying we don't know if they are semantically
distinct,
therefore we should implement commands as if they are.  I have no
objection to
that; I just want to understand the intent and encourage an
implementation that
suits it.

We don’t exactly know if \slashturn and \turn are semantically distinct
either … As stated in my last post above it looks like many of these
prall/mordent/turn/XXXturn symbols can replace each other in different
editions.

https://codereview.appspot.com/340660043/