Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 16:43:10 -0500

On 4/9/2018 3:57 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:

Well, of course they use the open source version, the community edition (gitlab-ce). See for example: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/contrib/g/gitlab/gitlab_10.6.3+dfsg-1_copyright

<https://wiki.debian.org/gitlab>

"Debian is running its own Instance of Gitlab under https://salsa.debian.org, which is not based on the packaged version."

Not based on packaged version... I wonder if that's significant in any way?

Enterprise Edition is a no-go, as we do not want to depend on a provider, right? If gitlab.com changes the service terms, you can migrate your projects to a self-hosted gitlab-ce.

I gather the Enterprise Edition refers to self-hosted versions as well.

<GITLAB>

<https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/marketing/product-marketing/#distributions>

"Enterprise Edition can be downloaded, installed, and run without a commercial subscription. In this case it runs using the open source license and only has access to the open source features. In effect, EE without a subscription, and CE have the exact same functionality. The advantage of using EE is that it is much easier to upgrade to a commercial subscription later on. All that's needed is to install a license key to access more features vs needing to re-install a different distribution."

<https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/marketing/product-marketing/#open-source-projects-on-gitlabcom-get-all-gold-features>

"The GitLab.com Free plan offers unlimited public and private repos and unlimited contributors but has limited features for private repos. Private repos only get access to the open source features. Public projects get access to all the features of Gold free of charge. This is to show our appreciation for Open Source projects hosted on GitLab.com."

</GITLAB>

I wasn't clear on whether the free-Gold-tier-for-open-source was automatic for any public repository, or if it needed GitLab approval. So I tried it out, and the paid-version "squash and merge" feature IS available in public repositories under the free-version. Here I made a branch with multiple commits, adding 1 file and changing 1 file. Then I did a squash-and-merge.

<https://gitlab.com/karlinhigh/squashtest/commits/master>

Result here; comments on whether the presentation is satisfactory? There were opportunities to add more commit messaging, so lack of that is my fault, not GitLab's.

<https://gitlab.com/karlinhigh/squashtest/commit/740fbb6d721cc08b26cf4332cfe1bf7a0cf7cbd6>

Now if I create a private repository, then it says...

"Upgrade your plan to improve Merge Requests with Squash Commit"

"Squashing lets you tidy up the commit history of a branch when accepting a merge request. It applies all of the changes in the merge request as a single commit, and then merges that commit using the merge method set for the project."

PS - I am just advancing the discussion; I really have no emotional or habitual investment in either the current development tools or any others.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA