Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:41:05 -0500

On 4/9/2018 2:15 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
Right now, our current process ensures that every commit on master builds
properly -- master never gets broken.  The only branch that can get broken is
staging.

Another thing: Repository mirroring

<https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/repository_mirroring.html>

"There are two kinds of repository mirroring features supported by GitLab: push and pull. The push method mirrors the repository in GitLab to another location, whereas the pull method mirrors an external repository in one in GitLab."

Looks to me like the master branch could be somewhere else like GNU Savannah if desired. GitLab could be the staging branch.

However, the documentation says that GitLab does push-or-pull to update the mirror every 5 minutes. I expect that instead it would need to be "whenever someone like James Lowe says so."

And I'm not sure that having 2 separate repository servers would really make life better for anyone.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA