Re: GitHub has been acquired by Microsoft

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: GitHub has been acquired by Microsoft
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:13:49 +0100

On 04/06/18 16:17, David Kastrup wrote:

> $7.5B in stock.  While I am not particularly happy that our issue/review
> migration plans got us stranded on SourceForge, it looks like we at
> least dodged a potentially larger bullet.
>
> Terms and Conditions for free project hosting already included the
> caveat that projects may be cancelled at any time for any reason.  For
> strategic projects like, say, Samba, ReactOS, Wine, LibreOffice and a
> few others that may in some respect be considered a thorn in Microsoft's
> side, this makes a platform choice of GitHub a quite less appealing
> option than it had been before.

That shouldn't be a problem for git - it's a DISTRIBUTED system, so you
either say github is the master with mirrors elsewhere, or the master is
elsewhere and mirrored on github.

Yes, every time I come across discussions about migrating to/from github
et al, it's always the issue tracker that's the problem ...

Cheers,
Wol