Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:48:24 +0100

> On 14 Nov 2018, at 05:22, Adam Good <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans, Torsten and everyone,
> 10 days later I have a finished turkish-makam.ly file that I'm certain has
> nothing more for me to do on my end. There's support for 201 makam key
> signatures which is A LOT and exhausts what can be found in Imail Hakkı
> Özkan's book on makam and on nezyen.com 's list of both common and uncommon
> makams.

It has come a long way!

> Please see attached and let me know what you think. It depends of course on
> regular.ly

The file also depends, for use with SMuFL, on the openlilylib and another, so
if you want to keep it in the distribution, perhaps somebody can comment on
that.

Perhaps some multiple of E12 might be tested as complement: E60 and E72 are two
candidates. E60 has larger commas at 20 c (cent) though smaller than E53 at
22.641 c, but E72, with smaller commas at 16.667 cent, is a decent
approximation of the 11-limit, that is, rational intervals using primes up to
11 (2, 3, 5, 7, and 11). In the old one, I think the ET is in effect 2*54 with
a comma mostly, but irregularly set in E54, making it not transposable, with a
comma at 22.222 c, which is very close to E53, but the minor second differs by
about ten cents.

I found, using a ChucK program I made that can play exact regular tunings, that
the Pythagorean tuning, of which E53 is a very good approximation, sounded
oriental sort of. So the E53 you have now, in addition to that it is what the
Turkish AEU notation formally refers to, seems to the right point of departure
from the musical point of view.