Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 22:11:11 +0000

On 2/23/19, 2:39 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

    > On 2/14/2019 4:04 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
    >> It may well be that the licensing conditions of any such SDK spell
    >> end-of-line for MacOSX support since Apple is allergic to the GPL-v3.
    >> It's conceivable that an OpenDarwin SDK without graphics support (after
    >> all, we don't really need it, even if it means lack of supporting
    >> platform fonts) could work instead.
    >>
    >> So "suitable Apple SDK" does not just mean "can be made to work" but
    >> also "is legally permitted to be made to work".
    >
    > I have been trying to determine what licenses or permissions the
    > current GUB macOS build tools are using. References found so far:
    >
    > In <http://lilypond.org/downloads/gub-sources/>
    > darwin7-sdk-0.4.tar.gz
    > darwin8-sdk-0.4.tar.gz
    > odcctools-iphone-dev-278.tar.gz
    > odcctools-20060413.tar.bz2
    > gcc-4.2-20070207.tar.bz2 (Presumably Apple's version of gcc?)

    Probably the last one available as GPLv2+.

    > Apple-internal investigation." (cc to Han-Wen here.) GUB's macOS
    > installer was having trouble running on 10.5 Leopard, suggestion made
    > to upgrade version of XCode, Han-Wen explains about GUB. Full quote:
    >
    > "
    > we use GUB (see
    > <http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=logh=gub>) to build
    > binaries, not Xcode.  We link against
    >
    > <http://lilypond.org/download/gub-sources/darwin8-sdk-0.4.tar.gz>
    >
    > which is based on something that I got from ADC. Unfortunately, I
    > can't work out which version it is.

    Which would explain why I got nowhere trying to figure this out.

    > If you could provide me with a similar tarball (or URL) which does
    > work for 10.5, that would help. Unfortunately, the ADC requires login,
    > so I can't put the proper URL for the SDK package right inside GUB.  "
    >
    > End quote. I assume ADC means Apple Developer Center, today
    > <https://developer.apple.com/> and the current SDK was downloaded from
    > there, extracted and repackaged, and uploaded to somewhere
    > GUB-accessible like its current location. Apple seems to do well at
    > keeping old versions of developer tools available, back to Xcode Tools
    > v1.0 from 2003. This has me wondering about a path forward for a newer
    > SDK:
    >
    > * Find what SDK is needed for 64-bit macOS builds.
    >     + Assuming Darwin 9, 10.5 SDK, macOS 10.5 Leopard.
    > * Try finding what terms the current SDK has or did have
    > * Find terms of required SDK
    > * If terms are not substantially different, do again what was done before.

See the Wikipedia on XCode for the SDK version numbers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode

Leopard's version of the SDK is not listed.

The current version of Xcode is 10.1; the MacOS SDK is version 10.14.1

As far as I can see there are no open-source-friendly license of the current
SDK.

The SDK for Leopard is apparently Xcode 3.0 and/or 3.1, and it included GCC 4.2
and LLVM GCC4.2.

Xcode 3.2.6 was available at no cost, but required registration at Apple.

XCode 4.1 was the last version to include GCC.

I have no idea how best to go after creating an OSX 64-bit binary in gub.  I
think we can neither provide the Xcode binaries nor find a link that will allow
gub to download the binaries.  It may be that the only way forward on OSX
64-bit is to provide a MacPorts or Homebrew solution for users to build their
own, which would be a shame.

Carl