Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 11:50:39 +0100

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 2:59 PM Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The post has its own link
>> <https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/114179>
>

> And this, I think, is our answer:
>
> "
> john daniel
> Mar 7, 2019 12:55 PM
> A requirement to restrict the use of Xcode files to Apple-branded
> hardware is not a new development. You can check the Wayback Machine
> for Xcode licenses back to 2011, which have the same wording. You can
> also download old copies of Xcode and check their licenses. Out of
> curiosity, I did just that. Unfortunately, the first version of Xcode
> (2.4) that supports 64-bit code also has the Apple-branded
> restriction. I also checked Xcode versions 2.2.1 and 2.3 that include
> the 10.4 SDK. These also have the Apple-branded restriction. There is
> a stand-alone 10.4 SDK installer available for download that does not
> have this restriction. Hopefully that is the SDK that you've been
> using this whole time.

Hopefully.

> Going forward, I suggest that your project acquire a Mac or someone
> with a Mac to do builds and testing. A Mac can also do Linux and
> Windows builds.
> "

Frankly, given the option to tie our release process to Apple or stop
providing ready-made Apple installers, there is not much of a choice
here.  We have too few people able to maintain GUB anyway.  A licensing
restriction of running GUB only on Apple hardware would be in conflict
with the many GPLed third-party components of it even if we could
convince Jan to give us permission.

> There was another suggestion to contact Apple's legal team for advice
> on this, or (however unlikely) special permissions for SDK usage.
>
> Comments?

Special permissions that will not extend to using GCC from GUB for other
purposes would not allow us to redistribute GCC.

I am afraid that this is so far in Apple's GPL war zone that we cannot
skirt the topic.  We can still refer people to Apple communities doing
their own non-cross compilation.

The other option is ditching LilyPad and doing a Darwin-only version of
LilyPond, assuming that we can do this with suitably free components.