Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 09:50:19 -0500

Hi Karlin,

> Would MacPorts installation be adequate for LilyPond? Hans Åberg reports
> success with this. Or is it important to have something available from
> lilypond.org?

Let’s use [totally opinion-based] numbers for argument’s sake:

people who would download and keep using a version from lilypond.org that
didn’t require a second [editor] download: 100

people who would download and keep using a version from lilypond.org that
required a second [editor] download: 75

people who would download and keep using a version using MacPorts: 30

That is to say, I would guess we turn off at least half of our potential
[Mac-based] user base by not having something available from lilypond.org. Of
course, I would still use it (I have MacPorts installed for maxima and a number
of other things), but I’m not the average Mac user.

Thoughts?

Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info