Re: Can GUB-build stable/2.20 [was Re: Still cannot build GUB with stabl

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Can GUB-build stable/2.20 [was Re: Still cannot build GUB with stable/2.20 branch]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:18:00 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "John Mandereau" <address@hidden>
>>
>> I'm not completely happy with the current set of instructions on page
>> "Minor release checklist", even for a release from master branch:
>> merging master into an existing release/unstable branch may import
>> undesired changes from the latter branch.
>
> I understand this would be possible if someone puched a change to
> release/unstable without it going through staging/master.  However, in
> the life of LilyPond I don't think it has ever happened.

It certainly has happened since the release/unstable branch is quite
older than the staging branch, but we haven't ever made unstable
releases at least in the time I have been involved actively enough to
notice that were not pretty much straight taken from master.

> so may not be worth being too concerned about?

I think so.  It's conceivable for emergency releases where one release
was so bad that we need immediate replacement.  But I don't think we did
those.

> So - to summarise - you're suggesting not building from stable/2.20
> but from a new (temporary) branch, and therefore updating the new
> branch rather than pushing any changes to release/2.20 before a build?
> That sounds very sensible.

The current setup for stable while in the prerelease stage (where the
stable branch has taken on a life separate from master) is a bit ad-hoc.
That stage should last a lot shorter than it already does.  Our unstable
releases or final stable releases are more straightforward.