Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 21:27:17 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've kept out of this debate for a long time because a) I've only been
> peripherally involved lately and b) there's been too much
> communication for me to read, but
>
> As one of the earlier regular committers, and as the only person who
> makes builds and updates the websites, I'd vote for no change.  No CoC
> (not needed); keep the current workflow (easy to do if follow the
> instructions), and make builds work

I do hope that we manage to get a better workflow.  "make builds work"
sounds easier than it turns out in practice: for example, at the current
point of time, GUB-made 64bit MacOSX builds are not feasible since we'd
need to change to some OpenDarwin base to even have a chance.  That will
actually not be significantly different when switching to a Guix-based
build as has been proposed: the native MacOSX SDK licenses just prohibit
execution on a non-Mac computer, regardless of the build environment.

I am cautiously optimistic that we'll be able to get out 2.20.0 soonish
and 2.21.0 afterwards.  I am more fuzzy about what that spells for
building 2.20.1 should that become necessary.