Re: Splitting Staves

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Splitting Staves
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 10:56:41 -0500

On Feb 6, 2020, at 09:32, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

>> So what I want to work on is some sort of ”Splittable Staff“.

This terminology looks at the use case from a point of view that might not be
very consistent with LilyPond.  Let's think carefully about what we want to
call this, because names have a way of coloring the problem-solving process.

LilyPond already has some features that can move a voice between staves
(\change and \autoChange), and is able to hide staves without music.  We should
entertain "moving voices" as an alternative idea to "splitting staves" so that
we are more likely to find the best solution.  Maybe there are more ways of
looking at it that we should also consider.

(I don't mean for that to sound the slightest bit discouraging.  I think it's
great that this is being discussed.)

> I love the concept… but I‘m dubious that it can be done fully and correctly
> without a proper and reliable partcombiner as well.

+1, however something less than "fully and correctly" might work for a good
number of people and be implemented sooner.
—
Dan