Re: Splitting Staves

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Splitting Staves
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 09:48:47 -0500

Hi Dan (et al.),

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 09:32, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> So what I want to work on is some sort of ”Splittable Staff“.

Just to be clear, Valentin wrote that, not me.  =)

> This terminology looks at the use case from a point of view that might not be
> very consistent with LilyPond.  Let's think carefully about what we want to
> call this, because names have a way of coloring the problem-solving process.

Agreed.

> We should entertain "moving voices" as an alternative idea to "splitting
> staves" so that we are more likely to find the best solution.

Definitely. In the best case scenario, I’ve always dreamed that we could move
items not just to adjacent staves (as would be true in a standard divisi
situation), but also to adjacent non-staves [!] and non-adjacent contexts of
all types (staves and non-staves). I look forward to discussing the
possibilities.

> +1, however something less than "fully and correctly" might work for a good
> number of people and be implemented sooner.

Oh, I’m definitely of the "progress not perfection" mindset… but I also believe
(and think you agree) that we should try to get the best possible
fundamentals/plan in place, so that we (a) have a good foundation to build on
and add to in the future, and (b) don’t have to reinvent the wheel "the next
time".

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)