Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 02:30:49 -0600

On 2/7/2020 1:59 AM, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
re "single-patch commits": Firstly we currently push multiple commits
from one review (at least Dan and I do), so I don't fully understand
the point.

I probably didn't relate the discussion properly. It had to do with commits vs branch merges. This post raises the question:

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-04/msg00023.html>

And these seemed like GitLab's answer to it:

<https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/squash_and_merge.html>

<https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/fast_forward_merge.html>

Do we need to import from Rietveld? The current issues have links to
the reviews, I think we should just get as much out of SF as possible
and keep the references to the external system.

I think you're right.

I first want to gather consensus that GitLab is really a platform that
(at least) a large part of the community could agree on, for the scoped
purpose of replacing the three tools we currently use.

Very good. Does anyone know of reasons why GitLab would NOT be a good fit for Lilypond? I won't know them due to lack of experience, and don't feel I have anything further to say here.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA