Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 23:29:40 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 09.02.2020, 23:03 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Jonas Hahnfeld <
> address@hidden
> > writes:
>
> > Am Freitag, den 07.02.2020, 16:28 +0100 schrieb Federico Bruni:
> > > Il giorno ven 7 feb 2020 alle 10:33, Federico Bruni
> > > <
> > > address@hidden

> > > I forgot I already investigated the SF -> GitLab migration almost 2
> > > years ago:
> > > http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Allura-SourceForge-to-Gitlab-migration-td211549.html
> > >

> > > Unfortunately, no progress on the import from Allura:
> > > https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/issues/21747
> > >

> > > So a migration script needs to be written.
> > > I've uploaded today's dump of SF issues here (165MB):
> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1llmnlKMt-LyhWHGcbSCSdSSKjsT0mTff
> > >

> > > in case someone wants to play with it...
> >
> > Thanks for sharing! I put together a simplistic script to create a
> > proof-of-concept:
> > https://gitlab.com/lilypond-issues/lilypond/issues
> >

> > It's only 1137 issues (now my server is blacklisted for spamming...),
> > but it has some important features mentioned so far:
> >  * It preserves the issue numbers, and additionally has a link to SF.
> >  * It migrates the current description and all comments.
> >  * It copies the attachments and adds links / previews.
> >  * Status, Type, and Priority are migrated as labels.
> >  * The migrated issue is closed when it was closed on SF.
> >
> > Obviously I can't post in other person's names, so it has "Originally
> > reported / posted by" lines at the beginning of every issue and comment
> > (unless it had already been migrated from Google Code). Another
> > shortcoming is that I could not reproduce the threaded structure on SF,
> > so all comments are sorted chronologically.
> >
> > Please all take a look and let me know what you think!
>
> For a first pitch certainly impressive.  It's nice that the SHA1 ids
> have become live.

If you mean for example this comment:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond-issues/lilypond/issues/4633#note_284960086
... then no, that's not GitLab to credit but the link was already there
on SourceForge (check the original issue) and the markup is preserved.
But yes, plain commit ids will become clickable once the project has
the source code imported.

Jonas