Fw: Re[2]: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: Trevor
Subject: Fw: Re[2]: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:45:02 +0000

David Kastrup wrote  07/02/2020 12:21:30
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

The seminal difference being that a workable free version of their
software is available for the purpose of self-hosting.  That gives an
escape hatch that either users or competing services can pick up in the
case of contingency.

This may seem academical, but even the academical possibility reins in
corporate decision makers from performing wholesale changes on a whim.

The Allura software that we use at SourceForge is also Open Source, I believe.

See https://allura.apache.org/

I don't know to what extent the SourceForge team have modified this, but
if self-hosting is a possibility this should at least be seriously investigated. (Not by me, I should add - at 79 my days of technical involvement are over.)

We'd always intended to migrate Allura to a self-hosted platform, but
no-one seemed willing to put in the effort 5 years ago.

Trevor