Re: event queue with thread for c++

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: event queue with thread for c++
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 14:03:13 -0500

On Feb 7, 2020, at 13:26, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> To do https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/ properly, I have to expand
> the heap when GC notifies us that a collection took place. Unfortunately,
> libgc notifications are done with the garbage collector lock held. So I'll
> need schedule a call to GC_expand_heap on a different thread.
>
> Would you know what is the best way to do this in C++ nowadays?

I wish I could give you a ready-made solution, but the multi-threaded systems
I've worked on in the past decade were designed so that most of the development
team could concentrate on single-threaded problems.  Only a couple of people
needed to understand the load-balancing/scheduling code, and I was not one of
them.

I can point to the C++11 thread support and atomic operations libraries:

        https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread
        https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/atomic

Anything else I might say would be speculative.  I'd probably start with the
std::thread class.
—
Dan