Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 20:52:52 +0100

Am Fr., 7. Feb. 2020 um 19:31 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 6:54 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I propose that I am going to pick up the pieces of
> >> not-actually-formally-reviewed patches making up the bulk of them and
> >> put them, Guilev2-guarded (so that they don't affect Guilev1
> >> compilations) into staging->master without going through the formal
> >> processes.
> >>
> >> The reason to do that is that the current state already likely wasted
> >> considerable time of Han-Wen by finding solutions for problems that were
> >> already previously turned into non-showstoppers although not necessarily
> >> in the cleanest manner.  But it would seem that even if part of them is
> >> likely to eventually be superseded, giving Han-Wen a better starting
> >> place would make him work and plan more effectively.
> >>

> > Thanks, David!
> >
> > Can you mark the commits with some prefix ("GUILE2: blah") so they stand
> > out?
>
> Sounds reasonable.  Other comments?  I'll try my best not to be
> disruptive in the process.  It would likely have the effect of making
> Guile 2.21.0 a better starting place for experiments also for people not
> active in the loop.
>
> It's conceivable that part of the rationale for staying in a branch at
> that time was discouraging integrators from distributing sub-par
> versions of LilyPond compiled with Guile 2.
>
> If that was the motivation, it apparently has not helped since we got
> reports of such compilations...
>
> --
> David Kastrup
> My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
> damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
> like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".

Han-Wen,

I'm not able to follow _how_ you try to make LilyPond fit for guilev2.
Mostly because lack of time. You are too fast for me :)
But I've got the impression you are fighting for a clean way to get
there, while the patches in the old guilev2-work-branch and others I
used to get LilyPond-guile-2/3 working, more follow a different route.
My own additions are certainly more workarounds than anything else.
I'll attach those being not in said branch.[*]

Davd,

with those patches I did my successful lily/guile3, some time ago.
Though, last time I tried (~2 weeks ago, putting them on top of
master), they failed even 'make', or was it 'make test-baseline'? Not
sure right now.
I likely retest this weekend.

So I'm not sure how much benefit they can provide in the current situation.

Cheers,
  Harm

[*]
I think you took care of ly:protects already, thus patch 1 may of no interest.
Patches 4, 5, 6, 7 are for guile-3

Thus only patch 2+3 are of certain relevance.
Although actually most of them are of little use here, I thought I
post them all for reference.