Re: RFC: docker for CI

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: RFC: docker for CI
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 14:40:04 -0500

On Feb 7, 2020, at 07:21, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> contains a copy of ccache

ccache is interesting.  It speeds up recompiling files after a make clean,
which is great if you often have to make clean because your makefile is broken,
or if you often reconfigure your build options (e.g. debug v. release), but
doesn't improve regular incremental builds.  There are some documented pitfalls
that I can't remember off the top of my head.

At work in 2019, I added ccache to a Docker-based build at the request of one
of the developers.  It worked fine when hosted on PCs but failed on the CI
servers with symptoms that did not make obvious sense and which I couldn't
justify spending time to investigate.

That's my experience with ccache and Docker.  Cool, but watch out.
—
Dan